- Region US - Heartland
Whittier College is an independent, four-year Liberal Arts College distinguished by its small size (1600 undergraduates) and a nationally-recognized liberal arts program.Whittier College has a history of strong and innovative interdisciplinary programs and a diverse student body.The College is ideally situated in the scenic hills eighteen miles east of downtown Los Angeles.
Assistant Director for Academic Support
The Academic Support office at Whittier College seeks an Assistant Director. The Assistant Director will work with the Associate Dean of Academic Support and other Assistant Director to coordinate the services and provide leadership within the Academic Support Center. The position is responsible for oversight of the Peer Tutoring Program and Academic Success Program and their assessments. They also oversee the First-Year Enrichment Program, including the hiring, training, and supervision of student employees as well as the assessment and evaluation of Provisional and Peer Academic Coaching program services. The Assistant Director also serves as a member of the CARE Team, a retention and persistence initiative in collaboration with the Division of Student Life. The position will assist the Associate Dean with the coordination of the New Student Registration Program for Fall and Spring terms. They also provide support in the forms of academic counseling, advising, registering new students, teaching, conducting workshops on college building skills, and tracking student progress. The Assistant Director will be responsible for helping teach the first-year seminar college skills course (as needed).
Hours: Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week
Exempt Status: Exempt
Full Time/Part Time status: Full Time
Salary Range: $58,240-$59,000; Salary will commensurate with experience, skills, and knowledge.
Reports to: Associate Dean of Academic Support
Location/Department: Whittier College (Main Campus)/Academic Support
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: EXPECTATIONS, LEADERSHIP, AND SUPPORT
- Coordinates the Academic Success Program, including academically counseling students, creating educational contracts, and tracking progress.
- Oversee the development and implementation of the First-Year Enrichment Program, which involves keeping track of students fulfilling requirements of program and other necessary assessment measures.
- Identify critical issues that impact academic preparedness and persistence with specific attention to transfer students, first generation college students, and students in all levels of academic warning. Create action plan for implementing appropriate academic learning assistance programs.
- Responsible for the management of the Peer Tutoring program including the recruitment, hiring, training and supervision of student tutors.
- Provides marketing support for tutoring and workshop opportunities.
- Maintains the TutorTrac software.
- Tracks tutoring visits.
- Assesses and evaluates the tutoring program services and academic support services programs.
- Develops and maintains tutoring schedules and initiates outreach and marketing of academic support services to campus community.
- Supervise, train, schedule and manage student or interns (POET or Graduate) as needed.
- Participate as a team member of the CARE Team.
- Assists the Associate Dean of Academic Support with teaching, INTD 101 curriculum development, and scheduling of a 1-unit Whittier Seminar courses for first year students and provisionally admitted students.
- Oversees the department email and provides general office support.
- Provides support for StudentLingo, an online asynchronous workshop delivery platform.
- Serves as a member of campus-wide committees or taskforces under the guidance and direction of the Associate Dean.
- Collaborate and develop relationships with faculty and Student Life, and other offices on campus in order to best support and provide students with resources.
- Supports the Center in the administration of New Student Registration for fall and spring semesters. This includes advisement and registering new students, training student peer advisors, working with parents, Student Life, Admissions, Business and Financial Aid departments.
- Advise students on academic policies, liberal education requirements, and major exploration.
- Runs team/department meetings as needed.
- Directs students, faculty, staff, the public to the appropriate offices or programs to provide support.
- Compile and record data regarding semester program assessment reports.
- Assists the Associate Dean of Academic Support with retention initiatives.
- Supports and coordinates departmental sponsored events.
- Other duties as assigned.